Valley Green Inn - the Wissahickon Valley, Philadelphia Pa
The Valley Green Inn is built on land that was part of a several hundred acre tract purchased from William Penn in 1685. It had absentee owners in England and Ireland until 1791 when it was bought by the Livezey family who ran a large grist mill downstream.
In about the year 1850, Thomas Livezey rented to Edward Rinker about three acres of land on the Wissahickon Creek below and adjoining the stone arch bridge. He was to build a house and had the privilege of having boats on the stream to accommodate picnics. He paid two years rent of $50 on January 2nd, 1852.
Rinker soon after built the Valley Green Hotel. There followed a succession of innkeepers throughout the nineteenth and 20th centuries who served catfish, waffles and chicken dinners, the popular fare of other Wissahickon establishments.
From Valley Green and the Wissahickon Valley