The Ferryland Lighthouse, Ferryland Newfoundland
The Ferryland lighthouse was built in 1871. It is a 14-metre tall cylindrical tower, painted red. Atop is a white lantern, a gallery, and a red roof. It was originally made of brick, but, since 1892, has been encased with iron.
The lantern flashes white every six seconds. The original light has been replaced, and is now part of a display at the Ferryland Museum.
Perched fifty eight metres (190 feet) above sea level on the very tip of Ferryland Head, the lightstation has been well known to mariners and local residents since its construction in 1871.
Located along a major shipping route, the Lighthouse has provided navigational aid to countless ships crossing the Atlantic and journeying between Newfoundland and the North American mainland along the often treacherous Southern Shore of the Avalon Peninsula.
Painted the traditional lightstation colours of white and red, it is clearly visible both from landward and seaward approaches.
From Newfoundland Images